Do you have a strange taste in your mouth?
Do you have a strange taste in your mouth? People facing a problem of strange taste should take special care of their oral hygiene. One should know the importance of brushing teeth, and flossing technique for good oral health. Here are some of the causes for the strange taste in your mouth discussed by our Oral Health Care Specialist.
Due to many reasons, individuals sometimes feel a constant metallic taste in the mouth. This persistent metallic sensation indicates that there is something wrong with the oral hygiene. The basic factors which can lead to such a taste discussed by our Oral Health Care Specialist are:
- Dehydration that occurs when the individual does not consume adequate amounts of drinking water. Due to the insufficient intake of drinking water, the mouth stays dry and this leads to an alteration of the taste of the mouth.
- Poor oral health is also the main reason behind the metallic taste. Poor oral hygiene not only leads to dental diseases but also disturbs the taste of the mouth.
- Dental appliances like dentures or dental fillings can also cause this problem. Individuals who have such dental appliances fixed in their mouth might also feel a constant metallic sensation.
- Poor hygiene of the tongue. Cleaning and brushing the teeth is important, but likewise, the cleanliness of the tongue should be maintained as well. This could be done by brushing the tongue regularly with a tongue cleaner.
- Some medications have the side-effect of causing a metallic taste in the mouth. Usually, due to the necessity of such medications, this cannot be avoided. Such medications include antibiotics like metronidazole or medications for hypertension, etc.
- Some food items, particularly pine nuts, also have the potential to cause a metallic taste.
Having a sweet taste in the mouth after eating or drinking a sweet item is natural. But if you constantly experience a sweet taste, it can be quite annoying. This problem does not allow the individual to enjoy other foods properly. As discussed by our Oral Health Care Specialist the main causes of having a constant sweet taste in the mouth are:
- Indigestion. Individuals who suffer from digestion problems or GERD might experience this problem. In some conditions, the acids in the stomach travel upwards and reach the mouth again. This is the reason the individual might have a sweet taste.
- Pseudomonas infections. This is the infection which might be caused by pseudomonas, a bacterium.
- Neurological disorders. This might occur when the nerves of the nervous system do not function well and stop sending and receiving signals to and from the brain.
There are numerous causes for having a constant foul taste in the mouth. These causes include:
- Medications. The consumption of certain drugs and medications might cause such taste. Particularly, the medications with zinc preparations have great potential to cause the problem. Some anti-thyroid and neurological drugs can also cause a foul taste. Besides medications, treatments like chemotherapy can also lead to this problem.
- Halitosis – having bad breath. Persistent halitosis might even alter the taste of the mouth and can create an offensive taste.
- Oral hygiene is extremely crucial in this regard. If the proper oral health is not maintained, then numerous problems will occur, amongst these, having a bad taste in the mouth that needs bad breath treatment.
The symptoms of certain diseases can also contribute to a foul taste. These include fever, nasal problems, cold, flu, diabetes, throat and gum diseases, cancers, and indigestion.
There can be many factors which can lead to developing a constant bitter taste in the mouth. The most significant in this regard is the consumption of pine nuts. It is a very common phenomenon that individuals feel bitter taste after eating pine nuts for a short period or even many days. Pine nuts are often used in salads and are also sprinkled over certain dishes. Despite the good taste, it can leave a bitter taste afterward.
Moreover, some people experience bitterness after eating something sweet. Although strange, this phenomenon is very common. The basic reason is that the taste buds on the tongue get used to the sweetness. If anything else is eaten, the individual would feel a bitter or no taste at all.
Some diseases that cause the bitterness include diabetes and jaundice. People who have recently gone through root canal therapy also experience the problem.
Just like any other strange taste, a salty taste can occur due to numerous reasons:
Due to dehydration. When the individual does not drink enough water, the salivary glands do not produce adequate saliva. This leads to dehydration and also the alteration of the taste of mouth.
Radiotherapy and certain drugs can have the effect of altering the taste too. The drugs that could cause a salty mouth include some cancer drugs. Drugs such as methotrexate, cisplatin, vincristine, etc., can also affect the taste buds.
Sinus infections, allergies and excessive production of mucus in the throat can lead to post nasal drips. Due to the drainage of the mucus into the mouth, the mouth can become salty.
When the individual does not maintain proper oral hygiene, various diseases of the teeth and gums could exist due to bacterial infections and that can produce a salty taste.
The most common reason for having an acid taste in the mouth is Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this case, the acid of the stomach reaches the esophagus and even the mouth. One of the most significant symptoms of GERD is heartburn. This disease is caused by the barrier between the esophagus and the stomach, the lower esophageal sphincter, does not function properly. As a result, the acid of the stomach reaches up to the mouth. Eventually, the taste of the mouth alters an individual experience an acidic taste in the mouth. This condition also starts damaging the tooth enamel.
Sometimes, the lower esophageal sphincter of the individual might be functioning properly, but due to overeating or eating too fast, the stomach produces excessive acid and this acid can reach the mouth. This results in the feeling of acidic taste. so, you should go with proper eating technique and good foods for oral health.