Bleeding gums are the first and most important signs of any future or existing gum diseases. Bleeding of the gums is a symptom and problem which is often overlooked by people, however, it should be remembered that it can be an indication of more serious diseases such as platelet disorders, leukemia, etc. Therefore one must follow complete Dental Hygiene Tips For Better Oral Health!
A healthy oral cavity is crucial in preventing the occurrence of bleeding gums. Regular brushing and flossing technique for teeth is imperative. If the teeth are not brushed or flossed properly, then the tissues of the gums can be damaged and irritated.
Bleeding of the gums is caused by the clustering of plaque on the teeth due to inadequate cleaning. If this problem is not treated at the right time, the next symptom is usually the growing inflammation of gums.
Besides inappropriate dental cleaning, other factors which can cause gum bleeding are:
- Any bleeding disorder of the body
- Harsh and hard brushing of teeth
- Pregnancy issues
- Poorly fitted dentures and oral appliances
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
- Any type of infection
- Inappropriately flossing
- Usage of blood thinner for any reason
In order to prevent it, you need to take care of the following factors:
- smoking and other use of tobacco should be avoided
- put pressure on the gums with a gauze pad soaked in ice water, in order to control the bleeding
- if you have a vitamin deficiency, the problem should be appropriately treated
- aspirin should be avoided unless it is recommended by your dental hygienist
- if you feel that any particular medication is causing irritation and bleeding of the gums, then inform your Oral Health Care Specialist!
- if you feel that your dentures are not fixed properly, then inform your dentist