A mouthguard is a device which an individual can wear in the mouth and this device protects the teeth, gums, lips and arches against all types of injuries. Mouthguards can be useful in numerous scenarios, these are:
- Mostly, mouthguards are used by individuals during sports activities. This protects their teeth, gums and jaw, and prevents the loss of tooth or teeth during any accident, injury, bump or clash during the sport. The use of mouthguards reduces the damage which can be expected from a sport injury.
- Individuals who have the habit of Bruxism can use mouthguards to save their teeth from damage. Bruxism is a condition in which the individual habitually grinds and clenches his teeth, either awake or while sleeping. Bruxism can damage the teeth severely and can cause them to break or chip away.
- Mouthguards can also be used during the treatment for temporomandibular joint disorder. This is a disorder in which the temporomandibular joint becomes inflamed and infected.
- Mouthguards are also used during dental treatments, for instance, during tooth bleaching.
- Invisalign is also a type of mouthguard which can align the teeth