Oral anatomy

Displaying 1 to 10 of 18

Saliva gland

The salivary glands are the glands which produce saliva. Saliva is the water-like and frothy substance which is produced in the mouth. The saliva is 98% water, and the other 2% consists of other substances. The saliva supports in the digestion process and also prevents tooth decay by breaking down t read more


The jaw is the bony structure which exists in the entrance of the mouth. This structure consists of segments which are held together by joints. The jaw is primarily used for manipulating food and grasping functions. The jaw comprises of the lower jaw bone, which is called the mandible, and the upper read more


The tongue is a muscular structure in the oral cavity which has many functions such as supporting in the chewing of food, helping to make sounds and speaking, etc, this function is called phonetic articulation. The tongue is the chief organ of taste because it contains taste buds. The tongue remains read more


The palate, which is most commonly known as the roof of the mouth, is the structure which separates the oral cavity and the nasal cavity. This is the upper wall of the oral cavity. Palates are of two types, the hard palate and the soft palate. The hard palate exists in the anterior position, while t read more

Permanent molars

There are twelve molars in the mouth.  The molars are the most intricate kind of teeth and these exist at the rear of  the mouth. These teeth are effectively used for grinding the food prior to swallowing. The molars exist in sets of three teeth on each quadrate, this means three molars on the right read more


The premolars are the teeth which are located after the canines and before the molars. In total, there are eight premolars in the mouth of a person, two on the right side maxilla, and two on the left side maxilla, two on the right side mandible and two on the left side mandible. These premolars are read more


The canine teeth are the teeth which exist next to the lateral incisors. These are particular long and pointed teeth. Some people do not have long and pointed canines and in such situation, these teeth are also termed as incisiform. There are four canines; this means there are two maxillary canin read more


The incisors are the front teeth on the upper and lower tooth arches. There are eight incisors in the mouth of every person. These incisors are further classified into four types:
  • Maxillary central incisor
  • Maxillary lateral incisor
  • Mandibular central incisor
  • read more


The periodontium comprises the tissues which exist adjacent to the teeth and these tissues also support the teeth by fixing them to the jaw bone. The periodontium comprises of four components. These components are:
  • Alveolar bone
  • Cementum
  • Gums or gingiva
  • P read more


Pulp is the inner centre of a tooth and comprises of living tissues and cells. Since a person has thirty two permanent teeth,  the person also has thirty two pulps. The tooth pulp is said to be the most vital part of a tooth. The pulp exists underneath the enamel and the dentin, in the pulp chamber. read more

Oral Health by Regions


Oral Health Knowledge Base