Dental flossing is an effective way to get rid of the plaque and food particles from areas of the oral cavity which are out of the reach of toothbrushes, these areas are particularly under the gum line and between the teeth. Regular flossing can prevent plaque from clustering in your oral cavity and turning into tartar. Hence, dental flossing successfully saves you from all types of gum diseases and infections. If you want to ensure good oral health, then you should definitely start flossing your teeth regularly.
Regular flossing in the right way ensures that the plaque on your teeth does not stay there and is removed regularly. If this plaque is not removed, it may later cause many serious diseases.
Proper technique of dental flossing
- Start with approximately 18 inches of floss. Use the middle fingers of both hands and twist all the floss, except 1 or 2 inches, around both the middle fingers.
- By tightly holding the floss with both the thumbs and the index finger, clean the area between the teeth by moving the floss gently up and down.
- Clean the base of each and every tooth, by curving the floss around every tooth. Remember, do not apply unnecessary pressure or force because this may damage the delicate gum tissues.
- During the procedure, use the clean section of the floss for every other tooth
- Remove the floss by moving the floss in the same back and forth motion.
Types of dental floss
Basically, two types of floss are available:
- Nylon floss
- PTFE floss
Nylon floss is cheaper than the PTFE floss. This type of floss is available as waxed or un-waxed. Different flavors are also easily available in this type of floss. However, the drawback of this type is that sometimes the nylon floss shreds and tears in the mouth, particularly between teeth.
The PTFE floss, on the other hand, is rather expensive. This type of floss offers more convenience to the user than the nylon floss. This type of floss does not have habit of shredding or tearing.
However, if the flossing is done properly, according to the guidelines mentioned above, both types of the floss can efficiently remove the plaque from the oral cavity and prevent gum disease and infections.